Adding a computer to a wireless Canon ip5200R

Monday, July 12th, 2010

Every time I need to add a computer to my wireless printer I can’t for the life of me remember how to do it. So this post is more for myself than anything, but hopefully someone else out there will benefit. This article assumes that you have already connected your wireless printer to your home wireless network.

1. Go to www.canonusa.com and download the IJ network driver / Network tool. Not the setup utility nor the wireless setup assistant.
  2. Connect the computer to the printer via usb cable
  3. Run the setup program you just downloaded
  4. Select Next
  5. Select “Use it as is”  and Next
  6. Unplug the usb cable and Next
  7. The utility will run a connection test to ensure you have enough wireless signal strength to print.

Canon definitely loses points for having one of the worst designed driver download pages. Let’s see:

• No support for the back button so I have to repick my OS from the dropdown list every time I want to download an additional driver
  • Annoying popup window
  • Doesn’t play nice with Chrome. You get no save confirmation and have to press ctrl-J to bring up your downloads then manually confirm.
  • So I am sure there are technical limitations for this… but why do I need to connect with a wire to use my wireless printer? I have it all setup in my upstairs office and I need to add my downstairs desktop. That means disconnecting and dragging the printer down to it. Ugh.

8 Responses to “Adding a computer to a wireless Canon ip5200R”

1. I was searching for a great wirless printer, after reading your article I finally found a good one. So thx for taking the time and writng about great wirless printers.

2. Eric says:

Thanks so much for sharing your agony and resolution! I encounter the same problem time and time again for the past 3 years… Wanted to make this kind of a ‘manual for my own use’ for ages, but never got to it (always too happy when I finally got it to work).
    And even now I should rewrite it for myself as step 5 never showed up, an error message saying there’s no printer found popping up instead… And then when I desperately plugged out the USB cable from the laptop, the window with the right printer to pick suddenly shows and the installation appears to have finished completely, leaving me with a working wifi printer.

Thumbs up for you, to encourage iP5200R users not to give up!
    Thumbs down for the user unfriendly interface and elaborative installation procedure from Canon.

3. Mark says:

You are awesome. Over the years I have spent hours reconfiguring this stupid printer on multiple machines, and like you I seem to forget every single time. The printer is great but the wireless setup process is so counter-intuitive and difficult that I’ve considered buying a different printer just to avoid it. Today was one of those days. I was searching my computer for a step-by-step that I was sure I wrote down a year ago, but alas, I can’t find that either. Your article is perfect… please never take it down! You’re doing humanity a great service!

4. Peter says:

This is a worthless advice, sorry – the ij-program runs ok, but it will not connect to the access-point. No matter what kind of encryption or even no encryption I choose. I have worked with this for a month now, and I give up.
    regards

• Tom Sherman says:

If you bothered to read the article you would know that this solution is not for connecting your printer to your access point. It is for connecting a computer to the printer.

5. Jay says:

Thank you so much for this. I have nightmares everytime I try to do this. I have bookmarked it for the next time I move house or need to add another computer to my printer. I thoroughly agree. Good printer. Lousy un-user friendly software.

6. Harald says:

Thank you SO much!

This utility even works in Windows 8.1 64bits!
    Your link to usa.canon.com needs an update, though:

Splendid tool!

• Harald says:

P.S.
      Select “Drivers & Software” at the usa.canon.com
      Next select “Software”

In case Your OS is auto-detected to be Windows 8.x, manually select Windows 7 64 bits for the “IJ Network Driver…” to show.