So I downloaded the free WordPress for iPad app and it didn’t work. Login failed. It is a free app, and overall it is pretty good. But I always find it very disappointing when things that should “just work” don’t. I think I have mentioned this before, but one of the great failings of the open source community is to make things that work out of the box without having to google obscure things. I’ve done my fair share of Software Quality Assurance in my life and I know that it sucks and is boring and developers don’t like to do it… but using the great unwashed masses as your beta team sucks. I do give kudos to the dev team who has been responsive in their forum and where I found this solution.
- So how about getting that app up and running? The first thing you need to do is log into your WordPress installation from a normal web browser and navigate to Settings -> Writing. Then enable the xml-rpc remote settings. Save!
- Open up the WordPress application on your iPad and click the + icon to add a new blog.
- I chose “self-hosted” blog from the splashscreen.
- Enter your blogs front page URL. Do not add wp-admin to the URL.
- Enter your username
- Enter your password and THEN press the hide keyboard key
- You should see the screen say “authenticating” and then “good to go.”
- Finally click “Add Site” and you are ready to rock.